When designing your living room, as with life, there are very few things you can be sure of. Will the colors match? Will my bookcase fit through the door? Will I still like that shag rug a year from now? The only thing you can really be sure of is that your living room will likely include a sofa and a blank wall.
What to do with this blank wall above your sofa can be a challenge. This is the focal point of the whole room, so the pressure is on to get it just right. To help you feel inspired instead of intimidated by that swath of emptiness, we rounded up our three favorite ideas for the wall above your sofa.
Check out the three ways we crowned our sofa inside this minimal Hollywood glam interior, and shop the coordinating collection below!
3 Ideas for the Wall above your Sofa:
1. Hang One Bold Artwork
Give the “best seat in the house” – the wall above your sofa – to a big and bold artwork. This is a great way to add some drama to your space or showcase one fantastic piece of art.
- We chose a dramatic, non-objective painting, Meditative Concentration 1 (Restoration Hardware). We love how the black and white pops against the gold Velvet Mina Sofa (Athropologie) and the square format draws your eye up, up, up!
2. Create a Gallery Wall
We love gallery walls because they can be tailored to any style, they beautifully show off multiple pieces of art, and you can easily add to them over time as you grow your collection. That said, a successful gallery wall should feel balanced, so think about the overall composition first to keep it from looking cluttered. Don’t feel like busting out the blue tape? Modsy can help you design your gallery wall before you pick up the hammer and nails.
- Try mixing different frames and artwork sizes for a more eclectic look. Or, arrange your gallery wall as a grid or a more traditional and designed feel.
- We opted for a variety of black and white artworks to give our gallery wall cohesion, while the different sizes and subjects keep your eye moving.
3. Make a Statement with a Mirror
The most beautiful thing in the room is going to be you, so catch a glimpse by hanging a large mirror on the wall above your sofa. This is especially great for small spaces, as the mirror will bounce light around and make your room feel open and airy.
- Add some drama with an oversized mirror. We chose the Gleaming Primrose Mirror (Anthropologie).
- You can even place the mirror on the floor and lean it against the wall behind your sofa. This will add visual depth to your room and saves your walls from holes (a great option for all you renters out there).
Since you’ll likely be spending a good chunk of time in your living room, why not make sure it looks good? A happy home means a happy you, so crown your living room with something worth looking at.
If you love the look of our living room, shop our Mid-Century Chic collection below with 100% real products. And if you’re still not sure, see it in your space first with Modsy. Happy hanging!