This Sunday the 2017 Oscars are airing, and that means it’s time to host your Oscar viewing party. A great viewing party (of any kind) means there are enough seats for everyone to sit and watch. But say you live in a one bedroom apartment? We know hosting in small spaces can be a challenge, so to help we created the ultimate oscar viewing party layout guide.
So while you focus on fine-tuning your guest list and preparing Pinterest-worthy snacks, we will make sure your living room layout is looking red carpet-ready before your guests arrive. Read on to learn how to create your ultimate Oscar viewing party layout and shop the products in our small-space collection!
Step 1: Maximize Seating
While “standing room only” might be great for a concert, having enough seats for guests is important. Here’s how we get the most booties in chairs and avoid cluttering your living room at the same time.
Benches and ottomans are great ways to add extra seating to your small space without over-stuffing it with bulky furniture.
- Benches look great in a hallway or at the foot of your bed, and can easily be moved into the living room for extra seating when you need it.
- You can also use two ottomans to make a bench. Break them up into two smaller seats when you need. The mid-century modern Soto Ottoman (Joybird) is one of our favorites.
Create movie theater rows:
Shorter people in the front, taller people in the back. This goes for seats as well. Place lower seats in the front and taller in the back so everyone has a great view of the TV.
- Use bar stools to make a back row for your viewing party. In tight spaces we like to reduce the visual clutter by choosing clear options, like the Vapor Acrylic Counter Stools from CB2.
Step 2: Maximize Surface Area
Now that you have all that seating, you will likely want some surfaces to go with it. We say don’t buy extra tables, but repurpose a few pieces you already have.
Two coffee tables are better than one:
In small spaces, having the flexibility to move your furniture is important. We say opt for two smaller coffee tables instead of one large one.
- We used two of the Haptic 28” Coffee Tables (EQ3). Keep them together for daily use and separate them when you host to accommodate more people reaching for popcorn.
We love poufs because they are super versatile. Use them as a footrest or a stool, or even a side table.
- We like the Braided Hemp Pouf (CB2) because it is substantial enough to support a tray with drinks and snacks.
A sneaky way to add storage behind your sofa, move your console table against an open wall when guests arrive for an impromptu buffet table.
- The long and skinny Framework Console Table (CB2) is extra great for tight spaces.
Open bar (cart):
We always love a good bar cart. Chose one on wheels for a mobile drink station and wheel it out of the way when guests are over. We chose the Terrace Bar Cart from West Elm for its sleek design and small footprint.
Step 3: Final Tricks
A few finishing touches to make your small space work for you.
Throw it on the floor:
Even your floor can be a nice seat if you add a little cushion. We love floor pillows as they are a simple way to add seating and can be conveniently stashed away when you don’t need them.
- Try Urban Outfitters’ Tufted Corduroy Floor Pillows, which easily stack and come in a variety of colors.
Nothing like a large reflective surface to make things look larger! Not so great for pores, but perfect for your living room. You can hang one like the Infinity Wall Mirror (CB2) above your sofa to help visually tie the room together.
You don’t have to cram a bunch of furniture into your home only to find you rarely use it. Our layout guide is for both before and after the party, because the size of your home shouldn’t dictate your design choices. Share the guide with all your apartment-dwelling friends and shop the collection of small-space approved products below.
The Small Space Collection: