We love incorporating details from cinematic interiors into our own homes, and with the Oscars encroaching we’ve been thinking about some of our all-time favorites. At the top of the list is the French film, Amélie.
Amélie Poulain, is a shy waitress at a cafe in Paris who delights in helping other people find happiness in unexpected ways. As shy as Amélie is, her apartment interior is just as bold. Daringly red and buzzing with eccentricities, we are still getting interior envy over Amélie’s bedroom so we decided to recreate this iconic interior.
Read on to learn how you can get Amélie’s bedroom look and bring her je ne sais quoi into your home!
How to get Amélie’s Bedroom look:
- The Basics: Amélie’s traditional wrought iron bed frame adds a touch of whimsy to her space. Recreate the look with a similar silhouette, like the spindle iron head- and footboard on the Mason Bed Frame (Crate & Barrel).
- Seeing Red: Amélie’s apartment interior was awash with a warm and rich red. Opt for a textured wallpaper like Farrow & Ball’s two tone damask Silvergate wallpaper. A more modern and clean option, we chose a solid coat of red-orange Caliente (Benjamin Moore).
- Balance out these hot hues by incorporating splashes of green and blue. We love how the indigo Washed Wood Nightstand (Anthropologie) adds a cooling rustic touch against the spicy red backdrop.
- Animal Accents: Amélie loves her animal-themed decor, and her pair of Michael Sowa portraits are a must for capturing her look. Both prints, Dog with Cone and Fowl with Pearls, bring that signature touch of Amélie-esque whimsy to any bedroom.
- Stylist Tip: Push the look more eclectic with mismatched frames, like Amélie’s.
What we love most about Amélie’s bedroom is how entirely livable it feels. Amélie isn’t rich and her home authentically reflects that. We wholeheartedly relate to her method of “organized clutter” and find her quirks charming.
What’s your cinema interior inspiration? Join the conversation and tell us in the comments what fictional room you want to see come to life!