Organization is essential to a comfortable home. While we’re not saying we all need to commit to the life-changing magic of tidying up, there’s no denying the calming feeling of a well-organized home with little to no clutter in sight.
Good home organization can feel like a daunting task. We’ve all been there: Closets never seem to stay neat; there are too many books, paper, and mail in random places; there’s ‘stuff’ that doesn’t fit inside any storage pieces. Yep, we’ve alllll been there.
So for guidance, we polled our designers for their organizing tips for every room in the home. Keep reading for some of their favorite home organization hacks.
But first… Why is organizing your home important?
It comes down to functionality. The truth is, home organization can often feel like a huge undertaking, no matter how small the task. But the truth is, a little tidying up and organizing in the home goes a long way to make your space more functional. And more functionality means less time looking for things and sorting through piles and drawers, which leads to less stress.
It makes you more relaxed. Speaking of less stress… it’s easy to see how visual clutter and a disorganized home can be stressful. Psychologically, when we’re looking at more “things” (say a messy desk or an overflowing pantry) there’s more for our brains to digest. This can lead to a “cognitive load” which can cause mental stress (think the mental health equivalent of having too many tabs open on your computer). So in turn, staying organized and keeping rooms looking neat can have major positive effects on our stress levels!
Also listen to: Environmental Psychology & How Design Can Impact Our Well-Being
It saves you time AND money. Having well-organized spaces not only saves you time when looking for things, it can also help you save on unnecessary (and accidental) spendings. If you’re like us, you’ve probably gone to the grocery store for pasta only to come home and find that there were unopened boxes hidden in the kitchen pantry. Whether that’s happened to you or not, a bit of organizing can help you take stock of what you have at any given time and not buy things you don’t need.
We know that can feel like a lot, but we’re here to help! Organizing your home doesn’t have to feel like a chore once you find a system that works for you and is easy to keep going. Get started with some of our designers’ best home organization hacks and smart organizing tips below.
Home Organization Solutions from Our Designers
Home Organization for Your Entryway
The foyer is the first stop in the home, so it should make a tidy impression that sets the tone for the rest of your space. Try these easy home organization hacks that our designers swear by. Need more help? Check out more entryway design tips.
- Create a drop zone. Make it a breeze to move in and out through your entry with easy-to-maintain storage pieces. The goal is to have a place where you can quickly grab keys, sunglasses or pet leashes as well as set down a jacket or bag.
- A console as a catchall. One that’s narrow with drawers is great for keys and everyday items you can grab on the go. It’s also a good place for a system of bowls and trays to sort mail to minimize paper clutter slipping into the home.
- Designate some shoe storage. Whether it’s a storage bench, shoe bin or a lined mat, they will help keep dirty pairs from getting into other rooms. If you have kids, try adding a bookcase with cubbies labeled for each child’s shoes and backpacks.
- Go all out on wall hooks. A hanging coat rack, open shelving, and key hooks always make for stylish organization in an entry, especially if you’re pressed for space!
Home Organization for Your Bedroom
Clutter in the bedroom can disrupt your daily well-being. After all, it’s where you rest and start and end each day. These organizing tips will keep it feeling calm rather than chaotic.
- Streamline your nightstand. Organize your bedside table with essentials that don’t include technology, like a book for bedtime and a tray filled with a carafe of water and a dish for rings and jewelry. A nightstand with a drawer is a good place to tuck away your phone each night so that you can truly rest.
- Better looking clothing storage. Organized clothing storage changes the whole mood in a bedroom. Whether you store your clothing in a walk-in closet or a dresser, make it a point to give everything a home. Try rolling clothing and putting them in drawers or containers for the closet, and keep seasonal pieces in underbed storage bins. This will minimize your closet and dresser clutter.
- Add closet door storage. One of our designers’ favorite home organization hacks is hanging a shoe holder on the back of closet doors. Besides shoes, it’s also perfect for scarves, makeup, and anything that doesn’t have a place.
- Away with your hamper. Put your dirty laundry hamper in a corner that’s easy to access—or even better, your closet. No one (not even you) wants to see your dirty laundry, and your bedroom will thank you for it.
Home Organization for You Home Office
With WFH becoming the norm, an organized home office is key. Here are a few home organization hacks for a more inspiring and productive workspace.
- Add a pegboard. It’s the perfect mood board and tool board rolled into one. Use it to put up notes, postcards, inspiration photos, and even hang stationery that you can mix and move around as needed.
- Hack a bar cart. Sure, you use a bar cart in the office like an actual bar a la Don Draper from Mad Men, but you can also use it as storage for office supplies, papers, books, and even a printer. Think of it as a chic office caddy that corrals everything in your space neatly and stylishly.
- Your desk should have storage. It’s a must. A practical desk is always the way to go, meaning drawers for papers, files, and extra pencils and pens. If you don’t need a monitor, try adding small bowls for binder clips or vases and thrifted mugs for pens on your desk surface.
Shop This Look
Home Organization for a Clutter-Free Kitchen
Nothing says a welcoming home like a tidy kitchen where people feel invited to gather around. You can instantly bring that vibe home with these simple storage and organizing tips.
- Get your spices in order. Displaying cooking spices is stylish as long as they’re neatly organized on your counter, in a tiered rack, or on a round spicer holder. Or take it one step further and organize them in alphabetical order—so you can find that paprika in a pinch!
- Do pantry bins. Stack and line up clear containers for pasta, flour, sugar, and other food ingredients are a great way to streamline the look in your cabinets. Use low bins and holders to keep things easily accessible and visible. Knowing that everything has a place is 90% of great kitchen organization systems.
- Line those cabinets and drawers. The easiest of any home organization hacks is dividing up your kitchen drawers with utensil containers or even just cardboard boxes that keep everything in place.
Home Organization for a Pristine Bathroom
A clean and beautifully organized bathroom has a way of soothing the mind and our senses. And it all starts with keeping things neat with these easy organizing tips.
- Make towels look luxurious. One of the simplest and chicest home organization hacks is to roll your towels up and put them in a basket on the floor in your bathroom. No matter your space, it instantly adds a spa-like feeling to your bath. Bonus hack: You can continue the spa theme by putting small items like cotton balls and q-tips in jars on the counter to keep things visible yet clutter free.
- Organize the medicine cabinet. Use small clear bins labeled with what’s inside each one and line them up in your medicine cabinet. If you have a small cabinet, skip the containers and arrange items in categories row by row—aka. Skincare products on the bottom, medicine at the top, etc. It will help keep your daily routines a breeze.
- Hook it up. Wall hooks are essentials in a bath. They’re perfect for towels and robes that you use every day. Plus, they come in a wide range of styles and designs, so you’re sure to find ones that match your space.
Home Organization for Your Living Room
It’s the busiest space in the home and the one most prone to mess and clutter. Which means having clever storage pieces and systems are key. Consider these foolproof organizing tips.
- Contain your electronics. Keep TV remotes on trays, extra phone chargers and cords in pretty boxes, and (if you can) hide modems and routers inside your media stand or sideboard. Fewer tangled wires are one of the most common visual clutters in homes!
- Bring in sneaky storage. As far as home organization hacks go, it doesn’t get simpler than furniture with hidden storage for anything and everything. Keep extra blankets folded and away in a storage coffee table or stow away board games inside a storage bench. Take a look at our home furniture checklist for more essential storage pieces.
- Tray up the small things. Use trays with abandon to organize all the pretty things you keep on your coffee table and consoles, like candles, vases, books, and favorite objects. This helps make everything look curated and not cluttered.
Home Organization for Your Electronics
Wires, cords, and bulky electronics are a hassle to store and make look neat in any room. To keep them within reach but out of sight, try these home organization hacks for electronics.
- Go with storage bins. For all the different wires, headphones, and cords you don’t use everyday, either toss them or store them coiled up and labeled in a bin. There are usually more cords than we think, so take the time to sort through them. Bonus hack: If you have a free drawer to spare, embrace the cord drawer and store all your bins in there.
- Basket your media. For all your bulky electronics like your TV system, try storing them in a basket near your sofa or coffee table. If you have game consoles and speakers, conceal them behind cabinet doors or stash them away when they’re not being used.
Want more storage ideas?
Check out our best home storage solutions!