Redesigning your space should be fun and exciting, leaving you with your dream room. But we can all agree that it isn’t as easy as we hope. We pin photo after photo, creating the perfect Pinterest boards, yet often stop short from committing. One of the biggest reasons? You’re on a tight budget!
Buying furniture can add up quickly, and before you know it you’re unable to attain what you considered to be the perfect design for your space. So we go back to the internet and continue hoarding all of these beautiful ideas, yet never really getting anywhere. However, you can bring your dream space to life on a budget, and we’re here to show you how. It isn’t about settling or being cheap – it’s about making informed decisions that will help you attain that space you’re so excited about.
We recently tested our Modsy Style team and gave them a budget of $3,000 to design what they consider to be beautiful dining rooms. They came up with lust-worthy spaces and also managed not to break the bank:
Design 1) Mod Visionary – Total Price $2,436
Design 2) Modern Rustic – Total Price $2,886
Design 3) Mod Collector – Total Price $2,925
So – want to create some wallet-friendly spaces in your own home? Just follow these tips:
Create a design wish list
- Being prepared with a range of brands, favorite furniture, and different styles will help you get your creativity flowing and understand the possibilities. Start with Pinterest boards (here!) and prioritize your favorite styles and brands so that you have a wide range of options.
Familiarize yourself with price tags
- Hit the stores, read catalogs, and browse the internet to research how much the items on your wishlist will typically go for. Sometimes having a sense of how much each will realistically cost can help you decide on your budget.
- For example, a typical mid-range dining table will cost between $800 and $1200, and chairs will average around $100-$300. If you feel strongly about a certain piece, it’s important to plan your budget accordingly.
- Going into the process armed with this information will help give you a sense of what your budget should actually be, as well as what the piece-by-piece breakdown will look like. Be reasonable, not cheap.
- Start with the base furniture: if it’s a dining room then this entails a table and chairs, for example. These are the pieces that you should invest most of your budget on – after all, they are the backbone of the room.
- Then, the fun part — accessories! These are pieces that should compliment your base, but are a great way to introduce more personal style. Wall art, lighting, plants, and table props all personalize the space. Accessories are available at a range of prices, and you can often find great, unique pieces for inexpensive costs.
- Unless you have an unlimited budget or are starting with a blank slate, don’t be afraid to buy your pieces over a longer period of time. Home design is often not immediate, and it’s easier to phase pieces in than to revamp it all at once. Go at your own pace.
Modsy can help you see your entire floor plan and design. It’s extremely helpful knowing what your space could look like in advance, so you don’t have to imagine how the pieces will come together. Edit and replace your design as you go, leaving you with the perfect plan for your budget-friendly new space. Get started today!