One of the most notorious design dilemmas our customers face is choosing the right rug for their space. Rugs are an amazing warm and fluffy way to add visual intrigue to any space. They are also expensive and large, and it’s easy to imagine yourself shelling out hundreds (if not thousands!) of dollars only to find you’ve purchased something that turns your room from “hot” to “not.”
A solution for this could be to go out and buy all the rugs you’ve got your eye on, bring them home, and try them out one-by-one in your living room. But if you’re like us and you don’t have endless amounts of money, a pickup truck, and all that time/muscle at your disposal, this isn’t a realistic option.
So here’s the good part. At Modsy we’ve created some amazing technology that lets you try on all the rugs you want, in your living room, without any of that hassle. Along with that, we’ve created this handy-dandy visual guide to help you learn how to pick the right rug for your space.
…The Blank Canvas
Design Dilemma #1: Rug Style
Our eclectic minimal living room is looking a little bare without a rug underfoot. We picked three options that we love and they all seemed to match our style. Here’s what happened when we took them for a test drive:
Moral of the story:
- With a more eclectic styled living room, all that pattern from Rug #1 feels overwhelming and busy.
- At the opposite end of the spectrum, Rug #2 didn’t have enough going on and it made the space feel sparse.
- Rug #3 is our “Goldilocks” – that sweet spot in between that is simple enough not make the space feel overwhelming but also adds enough texture to spice up our living room.
Design Dilemma #2: Rug Size
Ok now that we know what rug we like, let’s try on some different sizes:
Moral of the story:
- A larger rug (we used a 9’x12’) bleeds out past the furniture and overwhelms the space. Having the sofa all the way on the rug, while the chairs dance on and off makes the space visually cluttered and confusing.
- The small rug (we used a 3’x5’) gives us a tiny focal point in the middle of the room, and leaves the rest of the space feeling bare.
- The middle size (for us, a 8’x10’) is just right. The front two legs of all the furniture are on the rug, creating an intimate “zoned” area in the middle of the room.
Of course, this guide doesn’t cover every possible rug dilemma out there. But don’t panic, Modsy is always here to help you move through your design paralysis and help you create a home you love. Other Design Dilemmas you want help with? Tell us below in the comments!
Rug Cast, In Order of Appearance: