You’re crazy excited to be moving, and crazy stressed out by just how much there is to do. Sound familiar? We’ve been there. In all the stress of relocating, it’s sometimes hard to remember that finding your new home can be fun and exciting. Cut down on stress and focus on having fun with these summer moving tips.
Read on for 5 moving tips that will make designing your new space a breeze!
1. Take Inventory
Before you spend all that time packing and lugging around things you don’t need, it’s time to hit pause and take inventory os all the furniture and decor you’ve already got.
- Take stock of all things seen and unseen. Time to drag out the stuff hiding under the bed, in the attic, and other tucked-away places!
- Divide and conquer. If you feel overwhelmed, call in reinforcements to help you decide what stays and what needs to go.
- Sort your items into groups. Label boxes with sharpie or use a label-maker to help organize. For boxes of items you intend to take with you, this will help you and the movers sort everything out on moving day.
2. Make Room
Now that you know what you’ve got, it’s time to decide what stays and what goes.
While this task may seems stressful, it can be helpful to think of it as an opportunity to declutter and start fresh! Even though it can be hard to let go, the freedom that comes with clearing out is well worth the effort.
When in doubt about whether to keep something, ask yourself:
- How often do you use it? That furniture that’s been stuck in the attic or garage for years? That artwork you didn’t even remember that you had until you found it shoved under your bed? If you haven’t used it or missed it, it might be time to let it go.
Consider a garage sale to put extra cash toward your move, or donate your items to clear out stuff fast and do some good.
3. Consider Your New Home’s Layout
If you’ve ever moved before, you might know how stressful it can be to live out of boxes with all your possessions shoved into the middle of the room. Instead, consider putting one of our favorite moving tips to work – plan your layout before you even move in.
We know what you might be thinking – Moving is stressful enough, there’s no way I can get my act together and plan my layout! But what if we told you that you don’t have to? Just snap a few photos of your new space and send them to Modsy and we can help you design your space, long before you move in.
This way, you’ll know exactly where everything goes on move-in day.
Looking for layout help? Check out our Layout Guide series to see solves for rooms of all shapes and sizes.
4. Have Fun Envisioning Your New Space
And while you’re planning a layout, you can also have fun envisioning your future space! A move can be a great opportunity to explore different design options and define (or redefine!) your style.
Consider your new space a blank canvas. The possibilities for it are endless! So go ahead and dream up the perfect space for your taste and lifestyle.
Short on creative energy after all that work? Modsy Designers are ready to help you bring the possibilities for your new space to life with 3D home design. See your new space designed with real furniture and know exactly how it will look and fit, all before you move in.
Read this next: How I Designed My Home Before My Move-In Date
5. Ship to Your Door, No Moving Truck Required
Transporting furniture is one of the most expensive, time-consuming and complicated parts of moving. Consider instead one of our favorite moving tips, and have your new furniture delivered straight to your new address, no moving truck needed.
When you shop through Modsy, our concierge shopping service can even help coordinate your deliveries based on your move-in date!
Got a trick or two up your sleeve? Share your moving tips in the comments below!