Because you all loved our original hygge living room, we decided to kick it up a notch and bring hygge into the whole house!
Hygge, the Danish concept of living cozily, is the talk of the town this Winter. More than a way to decorate your home, hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is about slowing down, taking stock, and creating a sense of comfort and simplicity. Plush sofas, pillows galore, natural materials, and softly glowing candles are key to building your perfect hygge hideaway.
Designing your home with hygge at the helm, fosters the kid of cozy, warmth that helps make people happier. To help get you started, we transformed this simple studio apartment into the perfect hygge hideaway.
Here’s how you hygge…
- Build a simple base: Start with the largest pieces of furniture in the room, these is the base of your hygge hideaway. Your bed or sofa lay the foundation of your design, so look for pieces with clean lines to let the accessories shine. We like the Piper Bed Frame from Room & Board and the Modular Cloud Sofa from Restoration Hardware.
- Keep it neutral: Hygge is all about keeping it calm. Limit colors to the accessories and opt for soft shades of beige, cream, grey, and brown.
- Go natural: Organic pieces give texture to your environment and lend warmth to the space. Look for jute, animal hide, unfinished woods, wool, and sheepskin. We love the Natural Cowhide Rug (Cowhide Imports) and the Acacia Storage Bench (CB2).
- Add texture: Now it’s time for the fun part, let’s add some texture to the mix. Look for chunky, fluffy, soft… in a variety of fabrics and materials like a palooza of patterned pillows that are scattered throughout the room (even on the floor). Artwork can add texture too! We chose pieces with organic patterns, like the Peaceful Dot series from Natural Curiosities. Even the Woven Wall Decor above the bed (Urban Outfitters) adds a textural pop with its woven nubby wool.
- Layer it up: Our final tip for getting your hygge on, is to pile on layers. Layer rugs, pillows, and artwork everywhere to give your space texture and coziness. We like the pop of pattern the Boldstripe Dhurrie Rug (Anthropologie) gives layered on the Chunky Wool & Jute Rug (Pottery Barn).
Now all that’s left is to light some candles, brew up some coffee or tea, and slip into your comfiest PJ’s. Welcome to your hygge-filled home! We hope you never want to leave.