While it would have been easy to use today to show you all how to “design the perfect Valentine’s day bedroom,” we decided against any V-Day themed collection. Instead, we are offering up some design advice on how to style your one nightstand (or two). No matter what bedroom activities you do or don’t have planned tonight, having a well-styled nightstand should always be on the agenda.
We chose one of our favorite nightstands as a base: the Audrey Nightstand from West Elm. We love the Mid-Century shape and the textured front. It is the perfect combo of retro and modern! The two roomy drawers are great for hiding midnight snack wrappers, tangled electrical cords, and your retainer that you never wear.
Here’s how we styled our nightstand, three different ways…
- Geometric shapes, organic materials, and neutral colors make this one nightstand perfect for Mid-Century Modern enthusiasts. We love how the geometric details on the Audrey Nightstand pair with the geometry of the Mason Table Lamp. The Sum Total artwork (Minted) brings a graphic pop to the design that is so iconic of Mid-Century design.
- Stylist Tip: Our rule of thumb for styling surfaces, is to think in threes. This brings both balance and variation to the scene, and makes our eye happy when we look at it. Try picking objects with various heights, such as vases for flowers and trays to hold your odds and ends.
- For those who like a clean and earthy look, we styled this nightstand to feel fresh and eclectic. The unfinished texture of the Raina Lamp (Made Goods) harmonizes with the other natural elements in the scene, such as the Ibex Sculpture (Jonathan Adler).
- Stylist Tip: Use your lamp to help determine how high to hang your artwork. Because our lamp is taller, we hung the Blue Cactus artwork (Minted) lower to balance the composition. Don’t be afraid to hang your artwork off-center if you want a more eclectic look!
Graphic and Glamorous
- Full of statement pieces, this more glamorous design is full of graphic patterns and gold accents. We like how the stripes in the Changes Rug (CB2) pull in the graphic lines of the Naomi Campbell artwork (Jonathan Adler). The gold accents in the accessory pieces bring out the finishes of the Audrey nightstand, pushing the look more Glam.
- Stylist Tip: For a chic and unexpected twist, prop your artwork against the wall on the floor next to your nightstand.
So if you’re single this February 14th, that means no one is dictating your design choices. You can style your bedroom any way you want! If you’re in a relationship, we still think you should make your bedroom the most beautiful and well-designed space in your house. That way you’ll never want to leave and that means you’re in for a long, successful relationship. Somewhere in between? As one of my good friends always says, “if you look good, you play good,” and I think that rule applies to your nightstand too.
Graphic & Glamorous