In case you missed it 80% of people give up on their New Year’s Resolution by February. Why? Because change is really, really hard. Once the glitter is swept up and the optimism of a new year has faded, it’s easy to slip back into old, unhealthy habits.
This is because habits can be incredibly hard to break, especially when you live in an environment that reinforces them.
So what’s the best way to make a resolution stick? Research tells us that it might be as simple as making a few changes to your home.
To help you stay on track for your 2018 goals, we plucked four of the nine most-popular resolutions (sorry diet and exercise, we still haven’t cracked the code on you) and took a look at how good design can help make or break them.
Read on to learn how a few changes to your home can help you achieve your New Year’s resolutions.
Resolution #1: Get More Sleep
You don’t need us to tell you how important a good night’s sleep is to your health. And while we all know catching your 8 hours of Z’s is super important, it can be hard for many of us to actually make that happen.
Set yourself up for success with a bedroom that makes you want to go to bed early. We know life is busy and stressful, but that makes it all the more important to have a dedicated space for you to relax and unwind in. A well-designed bedroom can help motivate you to carve out space to take care of yourself, and make sleep a priority.
- Find the right spot: Where you place your bed can have a huge impact on the quality of your sleep. Consider where the sources of natural light are in your bedroom and where your bed is in relation to things like doors and walkways. Bedroom Feng Shui principles suggest that you avoid placing your bed directly in line with the door and, if possible, try and place your headboard against a solid wall. Ultimately what matters most is that you find the layout that is most comfortable for you. If you need help, Modsy can show you optimal layouts for your space in a 3D model of your room.
- Keep it climatized: Outfitting your bedroom to keep you comfortable is super important. If you run cold, consider adding extra blankets and fluffy pillows to your bed. If you run hot, look for sheets that will help keep you cool at night.
- Ban clutter: There’s nothing like a big pile of dirty laundry staring you in the face to make going to bed and waking up less relaxing. Kick clutter out by designing a bedroom with ample storage. When everything has a place, keeping your bedroom tidy will be much easier.
- Park your screens: We all know it’s good sleep hygiene to put down our screens at least 30 minutes before going to bed. Bake this habit into your bedtime routine by carving out a designated place to park your electronics so they don’t detract from a good night’s rest.
If getting more sleep is your 2018 resolution, a well-designed bedroom could be the secret sauce that helps you turn your resolution into a reality.
Resolution #2 and #3: Save More Money or Eat Healthier
Two resolutions that always top the list are saving more money and eating healthier. One of the best ways to achieve both of these resolutions is to eat more meals at home.
But eating at home requires time, effort, and planning, so it’s no wonder that many of us opt to dine out instead. Our favorite trick? Upgrade your dining room to a Pinterest-worthy place you’ll want to gather with friends and family in for every meal.
- Find the right (number of) chairs: The first ingredient of any great dining room is comfortable seating. Find chairs that not only speak to your style, but are comfortable enough that people won’t think twice about lingering for another course or bottle of wine. We love leather because it’s easy to clean. Don’t worry if all your chairs don’t match – embrace a more eclectic look as you add chairs to your space over time.
- Set the mood: What’s the one thing trendy restaurants have in common? Ambience! An experience involving all your senses, striking the right mood with your lighting is key to a great dining space. Opt for a pendant that can be dimmed or add an extra table lamp to your credenza. And don’t forget to light a candle or two (or a dozen) to add that final touch.
- Incorporate storage: If you’re lucky enough to have a separate dining room in your home, take full advantage of the space by incorporating a credenza or buffet for extra storage. This can be a great place to stash excess kitchen equipment (or any clutter you just don’t have room for), and you can dress it up as a decorative focal point during dinner parties.
- Make a statement: Another great thing about dining rooms is that they are a great place to take an interior design risk. You likely won’t want to change up your dining room decor frequently, making it the perfect place to try a statement wallpaper or bold chandelier. Not to mention, this will also give it that one-of-a kind WOW factor that guests won’t be able to stop ogling over.
Research has shown that there are substantial benefits to eating at home. Not only does cooking your own meals save you money (as opposed to frequently dining out) it also is a much healthier alternative. Give yourself the dining room you deserve to help you break the habit of eating out, and knock two resolutions out of the park.
Resolution #4: Spend More Time with Friends and Family
Nurturing our relationships with those we love is a super important part of being a happy, healthy human. If spending more time with loved ones is at the top of your 2018 to-do list, design might be of some help to you too.
Upgrade your living room to a space people want to hang out in.
- Keep it low-maintenance: Unless you’re someone who doesn’t mind putting a lot of energy into caring for your furniture, opt for low-maintenance materials in your family living space. This room, if done right, will often be full of people and even pets, so you’ll relax easier if you know it can withstand a good amount of wear and tear.
- Include ample seating: A sofa big enough for the whole family is always a good place to start. If you’re tight on space try incorporating flexible seating options, like poufs or a coffee table that doubles as an ottoman. Ensure everyone has a comfortable place to sit and relax, and watch your living become the designated hangout space.
- Find the right layout: Think about the ways you enjoy spending time with loved ones and then optimize your living space to make that happen. Does your family love to play board games? Opt for a large coffee table and a layout that puts everyone in reach. Loving hosting friends to watch Sunday night football games? Be sure your sofa is oriented so that everyone can see – no one wants to crane their neck to get a glimpse of the action.
- Carve out designated areas: A great way to wrangle a busy family together is to make sure there is a dedicated space for all their activities in your family room. Try incorporating a study spot or play area for the kids, or reserve a reading nook by the fireplace for parents to relax (close to the action, but not too close).
A living room that is welcoming and well-designed might be the best way to encourage your family and friends to gather and spend more quality time together this year.
Ready to revive your resolution?
Use Code: REVIVE15 for 15% your Modsy design package