New Home, New Living Room, No Idea Where to Start

New homeowners, Cristina and her husband, wanted all the right furniture—but they just couldn’t decide on anything.

Homeowner: Maria Cristina, global marketing director

Location: New Orleans, LA

Room: A bare living room in a new home

Her Style: Contemporary Collector

The Backstory

Graduating from a rental to her family-of-four’s first owned home

I live with my husband and our kids, and we purchased a home in New Orleans after renting for several years. The house is huge and when we moved in, we needed lots of help figuring out how to design the space.

The Design Dilemma

Designing one room was too much work and making decisions became impossible

Our living room was a blank canvas with just a wall-mounted TV. We knew we wanted it to be comfortable and practical, but style and budget were also very important to us.

To say we didn’t know where to start would be an understatement. Should we tackle the floor plan first? Or would it make more sense to start by finding a sofa? But then how do we arrange things and make the room look cohesive? We couldn’t decide.

Deciding where to buy the furniture was another hurdle. We kept going from store to store, taking pictures, trying to match pieces together. In the end, it was too much work and we could never make a decision.

In the end, [designing the space ourselves] was too much work and we could never make a decision.

living room designChristina’s Modsy Design 1

The Modsy Moment

After two failed runs with online design services, one happy Modsy review caught her eye

I’d tried two online interior design services before coming to Modsy. The experience was unsuccessful to say the least. We worked with designers but the renderings were poor-quality and didn’t help us with anything.

I’d seen Modsy on my Facebook feed, so I did a little research and read many positive reviews of the service. One in particular caught my eye, from a man who noted that the designs took 10 days to complete. This made me a little nervous at first, but it turned out to be one of the highlights of the Modsy service. They took their time to create two very thoughtful concepts for my space, and that was a big differentiator for me.

living room designChristina’s Modsy Design 1

How Modsy’s Renderings Helped Maria

Discovering new ideas and having the confidence to know EXACTLY what to buy

My reaction to our first Modsy designs was a huge WOW! I had such a big happy smile on my face. I couldn’t believe that I was seeing my living room furnished in such a realistic way. Every detail of my room was there.

living room deisgnChristina’s Modsy Design 2

When I showed my husband that night, he couldn’t believe that we got such great work for $59. (Then he had to remind me how much money I wasted with the other online design services.) Modsy’s renders helped us think outside the box for our space.

My reaction to our first Modsy designs was a huge WOW! I couldn’t believe that I was seeing my living room furnished in such a realistic way.

We ended up combining a couple of our designs together for our final look. It was so great to know exactly where to go to get the furniture I wanted. We bought a lot of pieces from our design but we also added a few items we found ourselves.

living room design

living room design

The sofa Modsy suggested was great, but after our entire family of four sat on it, we decided we wanted a wider option. But we liked the one Modsy recommended, so we bought a sofa in that same color.

We also purchased the patterned area rug from our final design. I know we would not have been brave enough to choose something like that if we hadn’t seen how it would look in our space. Likewise, we wouldn’t have thought about putting the sun mirror on the wall or adding the artwork and plant.

living room design

I would never have thought of putting bookcases on each side of the french doors. But Modsy suggested it and we ended up loving it, so that was a huge surprise. We’re planning on purchasing those along with the lamps and the sun mirror Modsy suggested!

See Christina’s Favorite Modsy Design in 360!

Need a little design help? Try a Modsy rendering for yourself!

64 replies
    • Modsy says:

Hi Tim, thanks for asking! The pouf is from 2Modern. Unfortunately, this exact one has gone out of stock (sad day!) but they have some similar alternatives as well!

1. Holly says:

Beautiful. Where is the beige rug from Design 1 from? And what size is that? I’m looking for a “glossy” looking solid rug that’s often featured in West Elm stock photos but don’t know how to search for it.

• Modsy says:

Hi Abby, thanks for asking. It’s the Colca Wool Rug from West Elm! You can see it in your space and shop it with special discounts through Modsy, or check it out here. Happy Styling!

2. Gayle says:

Hi,
    We’re about to remodel our kitchen, dining and living spaces. Can modsy help even if I can’t yet provide photos of the refinished space? We’d want help not just with furniture but also in choosing wall paint colors.

• Modsy says:

Hi Gayle, congrats on the remodel! To answer your question, yes Modsy can help you visualize the changes to your space with new furniture. If you don’t have photos of the space we do charge an extra fee, which you can learn more about here. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at hello@modsy.com if you have any questions!

• Modsy says:

Hi Nikki — thanks for asking! Yes, Modsy can design around pieces you already own. You can either pay a small fee ($15) to have us turn your exact pieces in to 3D models, or for free our design team can find similar looking alternative pieces to use instead.

As far as style, we of course will design your space according to what you like! you can take our style quiz here to get matched with a Modsy style! Additionally, all Modsy Design Packages come with a satisfaction guaranteed, so we’ll work with you as long as you need to get your designs just right!

• Modsy says:

Hi Rebecca – thanks for asking. Unfortunately we do not support outdoor spaces at this time. Although we’d love to help you design a patio, our 3D catalog only has furniture for indoor spaces. We’ve found this makes for a not-so-great experience, so we like to stick to rooms we know we can nail! Of course, we’d love to help you design another room!

• Modsy says:

Hi Heather, thanks for asking! Modern and minimal are our most popular styles, but they are definitely not the only ones! We work with all kinds of styles, from rustic, classic, transitional, to eclectic. You can take our style quiz to discover what your Modsy style is!

3. Allyson Timko says:

Hello! Where is the coffee table/ottoman from in design 4 (the two tone gray/cream one)? I see above that it may possibly be a Jiti Pouf but I can’t find a picture of it anywhere to confirm and I don’t see any similar for sale. Thank you 🙂

• Modsy says:

Hi Allyson, you are 100% correct! It’s a Jiti Pouf from 2Modern. Unfortunately this exact model has gone out of stock (as you can see it’s super popular!), but they do have some similar options available.

• Mandy Dowell says:

Can you share where the white md century chairs in design4 at are from and we’re you happy with quality?

We are thinking of them for Hawaii .

• Modsy says:

Hi Natalie, it’s from 2Modern. Unfortunately this exact model has gone out of stock, but they do have some similar options available!

• Modsy says:

Hi Tina, thanks for asking. The mirror is from CB2, the side table is from Anthropologie, table lamp is also from CB2, and the floor lamp is from West Elm.

You can design your home from your computer with all these pieces, and 100s more, and shop through Modsy for exclusive discounts across all these retailers. Simply sign up for a design package to get started!

4. Nathalie says:

Could you share where the rug and arms chairs are from in model 4? Also the long wooden coffe table in model 1? Thanks!

• Modsy says:

Hi Suzi, thanks for asking! When Modsy creates a 3D model of a customer’s home, we do our best to match the paint color from the photos they submit. So, while we don’t have the exact paint color, Check out Decorator’s White by Benjamin Moore!

• Modsy says:

Hi Lisa! Great find, those chairs are one of our favorites too. They are called the Roar + Rabbit Swivel Chairs and are from West Elm. You can check them out here.

• Modsy says:

Hi Sara! We’re glad you asked – all the products featured in a Modsy design plan are 100% available for purchase and come from a variety of retailers! This shelving unit is called the Avalon Shelving Unit and it’s from RH Teen.

• Modsy says:

Hi Samantha! It’s the Jiti Pouf from 2Modern, but it unfortunately is currently out of stock. Looks like they have some similar ones available though!

• Modsy says:

Hi Christy – This one is a real fan favorite! It’s the Jiti Pouf from 2Modern, but it looks like it is currently out of stock. They have some similar ones available if you want to check them out here!

5. Emily Hertwig says:

Where did you purchase the wood chairs with white cushions in the Modsey Design 4 photo? I love the armrest detail. Thank you!!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!